Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tunes vs Tomes...

The Studio is almost done and Hubby and I are (imagine this,) tired of spending money. It gets old: take the plastic out of the wallet and swipe, then watch as the money you have saved gradually disappears. Granted, we saved the money to build The Studio, and we do not live beyond our means, but it wears on us, and so now I have a dilemma.

I am debating which high tech appliance to buy: the Kindle or an I Pod. This debate has gotten me to question things about my values, who I have become, and who I will be because I don't really want to buy both (no matter how cheap the Kindles are getting!) Here's the pros and cons of each:

I Pod Nano: I did have an I Pod Shuffle, which I loved, but it won't turn on and play anymore. It decided to do this on a 6 hour trip without warning, leaving me high and dry. The reasons to get one include that it plays in the car and I can download podcasts to it, (not to mention audio books,) and I could also take it running with me. It has been mentioned that my phone can do these things too. Yes, but the battery life would be greatly compromised, and it is heavy. Hubby also mentioned that he still has not looked at the Shuffle yet to see if it is truly dead. I argue that the police don't call him instead of the coroner for a reason, but I digress.

Kindle: I read a lot... when I can. The books I read can get heavy, and I need to be able to nurse and read. Also, I can get a lot of books on a Kindle and tote it around. During school, I can be reading 2-3 books a week, so any help would be appreciated. Someone mentioned that some readers can be used as Ipods, which would help the decision making process, though I wouldn't go jogging with a Kindle, but do I need music when I jog?

Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. BTW, I love the title of this post!
    If you check out cnet they have comparisons of different electronics.

    MP3 players: http://reviews.cnet.com/4504-6490_7-0.html?id=33770785&id=33770021&tag=contentBody;compare

    ReplyDelete
  2. With regards to the Kindle, you may want to check on some issues: it's really not for books etc that you plan to keep. If I'm not mistaken, you have to pay for a new download each time you want to read it again. But I don't know the specifics.

    Another thing: you may want to make sure that you find it comfortable to read in electronic format. I read A LOT in electronic format (research, work, or otherwise), and I find that newspapers, periodicals, articles, or books in which I don't need to absorb every detail work great in electronic format. However, short stories, novels, or books on which I really want to digest and meditate work much better in paper format.

    ReplyDelete