Friday, July 30, 2010

Extening the Olive Branch

Yesterday, a very dear friend took me to the best place in the world: The Natural Gardener. My daughter got to feed grape leaves to goats, watch chickens, and they have got some of the best gardens I have ever seen. Why, why, why have I not gone before??? This place reminds me of a time when I was very young when Mom took us to a gardening center that had a lot of concrete bridges, animals, and things, and I thought that the place was an enchanted place that an evil witch had turned into stone. This place was the enchanted place, minus the evil witch.

So... Olive Trees were on sale. To make matters more enticing, they have a garden where they planted several olive trees, and they were... perfect. Looking at the varieties in stock, it just so happened that they had two Italian species, the Pendolino and the Leccino, and they would bear fruit if they were together. (!) It would be like planting a long and fruitful marriage in my backyard.. with olives.

Well, I get home and hubby is less enthusiastic. He's a little more concerned with practical things, like root systems and yard space. How can I transport him to The Natural Gardener to see that Italy is for lovers? How can I communicate the glory of the trees if he works all day?

His words: "What happened to your idea about the butterfly garden?"

I did get seeds for that... I just got olives as well.

1 comment:

  1. "It would be like planting a long and fruitful marriage in my backyard...with olives." I love this sentence!

    ReplyDelete