Friday, December 31, 2010

Here it goes again...

The new year is about to start, and this looks suspiciously like a New Year's Resolution, but you are going to have to believe me when I say that it is not. I want to run a marathon. I have wanted to run a marathon since 5th grade, and I have began training for marathons many times in the past with little success, until now.

I decided to run the Austin Marathon in 2012 two weeks ago, and then made it semi-official with a call to my brother-in-law after running Town Lake in under an hour, feeling great. He is a great personal trainer, but has little training in marathon running, so he mentioned some books: Marathon Method and another one I couldn't find immediately. My main goal is to avoid injury, not time, so I also picked up Chi Running which, so far, has been fascinating. I have always struggled with posture, so that would only make sense to be holding me back.

Other things that have helped have been my dog. Earlier this year, she tore her ACL and had to have surgery. I went through a time where I was understandably frightened that she would re-injure herself, making her quality of life suffer. I'm still concerned when she tussels with other dogs, but my slow running pace seems to be perfect for her. Running Town Lake with her is like having a perfect running buddy: always available when I am, eager, doesn't tempt me with in-depth conversation or stopping, and will happily hold my keys. Also, I think the exercise has helped her out a lot. She has lot some weight, which is good for her knee, and she seems a lot more chill.

Also, my little brother put some amazing music on my I-Pod Shuffle. I don't have one of the new Shuffles that everybody wants; I have an older, less sexy version that just plays music. It has been perfect. I used to get annoyed with the ear buds - does anyone else have this problem? They won't stay in my ears, and I'm constantly adjusting them, making me frustrated, and not helping me with my running. I got some ear buds that are on the headband and that solved that problem. Now I only have problems with my glasses...

Finally, the most help has been my Vibram, "Toe Shoes". Okay, I know many runners would consider this a fad, or even destructive, but I love my shoes. If you have never seen them, they are like rubber soles for your bare feet; imagine what it would look like if you made a mold for your feet, toes and all. They don't offer much protection against rocks, much less arch support, but I cannot compliment them more. After years of struggling against blisters - bad blisters that make it impossible to walk, falling arches, toe problems, knee and joint pain, and back issues, I have never felt so good during a run. The philosophy is simple: our bodies, including our feet, have evolved to adapt to our environment, and adding more stuff to our shoes might make money, but makes little sense. My arches have gotten higher (!!!) and my posture has gotten better, and compared to a quality running shoe, these are a lot less expensive.

Some people say that they are just a fad or gimmick, but I have had problems getting blisters between my toes for years. Maybe they aren't for everyone, but running isn't for everyone either. They are some ugly shoes. I'd like to say I look like a ninja, but my feet are more frog-like than ninja. It's better than one guy describe his brown Vibrams to look like bear feet, though. I love the water wicking technology, though they can get smelly. I think the worst drawback is the strange feeling of walking into a public restroom for the first time.

Anyway, I'll keep posting on my year and two month journey. I'll talk more about how the hubby and I are training, (P90-X... yeah, it's pretty hilarious,) diet, and how far I get with baby in tow. Also, I'm going to tell more about the dog's recovery. I think the reason why this time my marathon might work is because it is not just about me anymore or a goal I had set in college (to run a marathon before I had kids... yeah, that didn't work,) but something I know I can do that will help my entire family.

We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have a specific time in mind that you want to run your marathon?

    ReplyDelete